Monday, October 27, 2008

Speaking of the new box...

I have decided to call it..."Octane" and I will tell you why. Eight gigs of RAM, baby. That's why.

If you'll remember Build I, my former primary system, contained the following specs:

147gig Ultra 320 SCSI Raid O array (system)
320gig Sata II (storage)
2.4 Dual Core Athlon 64
2 gigs Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800
Nvidia Geforce 8600 256mb of GDDR3
Microsoft XP 32 bit

The new build is a kluge of Build I with a few addons. The videocard is the same, but the rest of the stuff is either new or imported from another system.

160gb Sata II (windows drive)
500gb Sata II Software Raid 1 (Linux partition)
2.8ghz Dual Core Athlon
8gigs Gskill DDR2 800
Ubuntu 8.04
Microsoft XP

I'm going to post a few of my ups and downs regarding the installation and my brief foray into 64 bit linux as well as the pitfalls and joys I found along the way. For now I am just shaking down the system, making sure it can do everything I need for work, play and my favorite hobby...blagging on the intartubes.

No comments: