Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Epoch fail...

I know I know, the title's a direct ripoff from a recent xkcd but its been stuck in my head for so long I can't shed the mental picture.

Today's early Tuesday morning rant is brought to you by the letters YMC and A as in All-the-motherfucking-old-people-in-the-world-doing-motherfucking-water-aerobics.

They displease me.

Argyle Ninja is not amused. Niether is Floral Ninja.

Hell I might as well add them all.

One of the many reasons I hate they inevitably grey-haired and flabby gatherings is the fact that they all look the same. And guess what, even the instructor isn't shapely enough to justify the experience. We've been members of the Y now for more than half a year and there's a trio of ladies who look exactly the same now as they did the first time i saw them over the summer.

I'm dangerously close to throwing out some Larry Niven slang and adding TANJ to my already burgeoning vernacular of old college inside jokes, family guy references, south parkisms and wistful dialog from my long and dirty history with fiction writing. Ting a ling!

I'm struggling with an unusual moral dilemma as it pertains to the elderly people of the world and my own inexorable trip into the future. Fifty years seems such a short time on paper or when considering history but in that span of time I will have trebled in age and shriveled in height. But with the advances in modern medicine and genetics one wonders if we could perhaps be among the first to cheat death with a little help from our PPO plan?

If so could we forestall the inevitable decline of body as well as mind? If it were possible to freeze one's level of health at forty years or so then living past 100 would become a viable prospect and not just counterproductive for society.

That would change so much of everything. Perhaps most importantly if we had dramatically increased lifespans then we could make Frank Herbert proud and actually start long term planning. It would probably still be limited to some fraction of human life but any increase could prove useful...then again it could lead to stagnation of the human spirit. Oh well, we'd have plenty of time to get over it.

No comments: